Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Let Music manage your Inner Life

I read a great article about an incredible musician in NY, who has always let music manage his inner life. Inner life? I first thought what is his inner life? But it all made sense. I've been doing it all my life.

Music has played a huge role all my life. I remember being a young child, maybe four, living in Long Island and hearing Santana and The Beatles. Songs from these artists bring me back to being young again and I remember how I felt about myself and my surroundings like it was yesterday.

And just like you, music has eased my heartaches, my sadness, lifted my moods, and built my self-esteem, established dreams and aspirations. In my early twenties, I went through a break-up and a job loss within a week of one another. Right after, I kept having dreams I was playing electric guitar! The truth was, I owned one and kept thinking I would like to take lessons again and become a really good player. After several dreams of me being a rock goddess (or maybe I was playing a mean air guitar?), I decided to pay attention to the wake up call.


So, I am sure some of you are reading this and can relate to those songs you like to crank up from your past. I always loved anything Aerosmith and of course, there is Boston, "Long Time," or rocking out to AC/DC Back in Black elevates my mood, and helps me let myself go and relax for a moment before I shift back into Mommy mode.

Music moves me in so many ways and in some many different genres. It amazes me on a day that I might be down, and it's been a little more frequent lately with the economy in turmoil and hearing one sad story after the next, that music has a way of helping me make sense out of it all and reflect on what is really important and what matters.


The other night, I realized that a good station to set the mood for homework or just to try to get everyone to chill to is 94.7 The Wave, because my kids dial it down a notch and actually relax. I actually have more patience! And they know a lot of the songs, because it's our mellow station. My daughter has been falling asleep to The Wave for almost 2 years now. Of course, we do love KUCI 88.9fm for the diversity and range of music and PA shows. In fact, one morning on the way to school, one of the DJs was playing a Sesame Street song that was completely wacky and hilarious! In my sleepy state, we laughed all the way to school. And the kids are still talking about it!


So to sum up this long ramble, don't be afraid to crank it up a notch when you drop those kids off or right before that big important meeting, or maybe on your way to seeing your in-laws. And get your kids dancing around the house to your music. We all need to manage our inner lives, our contentment, our uncertainties, the day in - day out chaos of our lives and if music can do this for you GREAT! And if you don’t even listen to the radio, have I got a show for you! E-mail me and I will tell you about some of the artists from my LIVE show at KUCI 88.9fm Moms Rockin' the House - or my podcast show Momz Rock the House.com.


You can find me here: janeane@momzrockthehouse.com. And if you're out and about on Thursday's, tune in to KUCI 88.9fm (10am PST or streamlining at www.kuci.org) and you just might find yourselves cranking up what I'm playing! ROCK ON ladies!


Have a safe, Happy and Healthy Holiday! May 2009 be a great one for you and yours!

No comments:

Janeane Bernstein

Janeane Bernstein
Photo by Ralph Palumbo

Followers

Powered By Blogger