Friday, June 24, 2011

Get the Funk Out...really!



This recession has kicked our butts. I really don't know anyone who hasn't been affected by the economy over the past few years. One thing is very clear to me though. You can let hard times drag you down or you can fight back and be your strongest self, your biggest cheerleader, and get your funk out.

I have been a fighter all of my life. I have never been afraid to be alone, live alone and face a challenge head on. In fact, when someone turns me down, rejects me, and tells me I'm just not good enough (or implies it), I have learned to come back stronger. When someone insults me or is rude, I refuse to take it. And as a child, I faced all kinds of personal issues with two parents who were never meant to marry in the first place, and I was left with a very controlling mother who had me riding an emotional rollercoaster. I learned so much about juggling my emotions and staying strong and believing in myself. I have no idea how, but it was just some kind of inner strength, while living alone with my mother in NYC at age 8, finger painting and listening to music.

At age 10, I received one of the greatest gifts my mother ever gave me (beside the gift of life, of course)...my first guitar. I can picture her walking down the corridor of our apartment building holding that little Yamaha guitar she had bought that night with her boyfriend. And that gift would be my companion for years to come, keeping me amused and filled with creative energy in a childhood that was less than happy and peaceful. That gift helped me on numerous occasions to get my funk out and I continue my creative journey in so many other aspects of my life. Because finding your own creative outlet is so important on this rollercoaster ride.
Find something that inspires you, intrigues you, keeps finding its way into your dreams and nags you, because it is never too late to get your own funk out and find out more about who you and what you are capable of. You just might be surprised.

No comments:

Janeane Bernstein

Janeane Bernstein
Photo by Ralph Palumbo

Followers

Powered By Blogger